WatchGeeks  

Go Back   WatchGeeks > Official Invicta Watch Forums > General Invicta Watch Discussions

Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Geek

Default Invicta Designs Getting RIPPED OFF!!!

They say "imitation is the best form of flattery" but........

Last week I was on my way to a futbol bar in NYC to watch my club West Ham play and saw a store with a bunch of watches in the window. I immediately saw what I thought were Invictas. Upon closer inspection, they were actually RIP-OFFS of Invicta designs. They aren't knockoffs, they are blatantly stolen designs. Knockoffs have the name of the brand they are stealing from, this Chinese company has the balls to put their own brand name on the dial. This "brand", if you can call them that, is Tecno Sport.

I bought two of them solely just to take pics of them and show you guys this madness. I'm not sure if the Invicta brass is aware of this or if there have been prior posts about this. My apology if this has been discussed already and also for the crappy cell phone pics. BTW, I brought them both back and the guy at the shop had no problem giving me my money back. He says they sell "very well".

The first rip-off is of a Coalition Forces. I paid $20 for it. It's a faux chronograph, the sub dials are fixed and the pushers don't function at all. The watch itself actually looks and feels decent otherwise and has some weight to it but the rose tone color looks a bit "off".

Here's some pics:

The second rip-off is of a Sub3 automatic. I paid $40 for it. It was quite heavy, and the bezel rotates but not smoothly. The movement seemed to work well but I only had the watch for a couple of days. The strap felt kind of cheap and you can see that it doesn't attach to the case like a real Invicta does. The crown protector doesn't open.

Here's some pics:

I find is amazing that a company would go through all of this to rip-off another company's designs. We see homages all the time but this is something completely different. When I returned these to the shop they also had an RD automatic skelton and some Sturhling Original rip-offs as well. I just thought some of you would find this interesting.

3 Lastest Threads by ~BUDO~
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Invicta Designs Getting RIPPED OFF!!! General Invicta Watch Discussions bayside1 83 2497 11-10-2013 11:18 AM
This Pocket Watch is IN$ANE!!! Panerai Watches multiwatchman 26 1020 05-13-2013 08:14 PM
The Ambassador! Swiss Legend CarCa 14 334 04-17-2013 10:43 AM

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM
True WatchGeek

Whoa that's crazy how much they look like the Invicta models.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 AM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDO View Post
I sure will agree with that.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDO View Post
This!!

I would have guessed they are Invicta watches!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Geek

Wow, there's barely any variance from the two. But everyone does this.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Master WatchGeek

Not too unusual... Invicta does the same thing
Old 11-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Master WatchGeek

Unless it's something there is a patent on it is what it is.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM
True WatchGeek

Wow that's crazy but being form ny anything is possible.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Geek

Funny that someone would take offense to someone producing a "homage" of an Invicta...

Or a Stuhrling, for that matter..
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Member Geek

What goes around, comes around.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Geek

I bought my first Invicta in 1996 because it looked like a rolex submariner. I thinks its ok as longs as they don't use the real name.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM
True WatchGeek

I dont know what they are, but they are fugly
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Geek

That $60 spent would have been better spent on any number of Invictas.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Geek

lots of varied opinions on the topic tonight
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM
True WatchGeek

Location: Born in Brooklyn~Raised in Queens~Lived on Long Island~In Witness protection program in Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursue Balance View Post
Not too unusual... Invicta does the same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Funny that someone would take offense to someone producing a "homage" of an Invicta...

Or a Stuhrling, for that matter..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turok62 View Post
What goes around, comes around.
Don't gang up on me guys but I respectfully disagree, while I'll go along with the fact that Invicta may have a couple of "homages" or "a-like" watches and a couple of similar design features of a couple of watches. What the OP has presented is like his title states, a direct "RIP OFF" with the intent of making an unwary buyer think he is getting a Invicta watch.
When someone buys a Grand Diver they KNOW they are not buying a Rolex Submariner no matter how much they may look alike, but an uneducated buyer who has only seen an Invicta CF or SAN-lll on somebody's wrist from across the room and never up close might think they are getting the real deal.
The examples the OP gave are not homages, they are facsimiles! Except for the brand name on the dial they are outright "copies". Its a good thing all of us know better, so no one we know or are related to can be ripped off by these FAKES.

Sent from my Gateway laptop using Hunt 'n Peck 2.0
Old 11-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymebandit View Post

lol I totally get it!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Master WatchGeek

Meh... Bottom line, producing a watch that looks identical to another.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Super Geek

Wow.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Master WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymebandit View Post
Don't gang up on me guys but I respectfully disagree, while I'll go along with the fact that Invicta may have a couple of "homages" or "a-like" watches and a couple of similar design features of a couple of watches. What the OP has presented is like his title states, a direct "RIP OFF" with the intent of making an unwary buyer think he is getting a Invicta watch.
When someone buys a Grand Diver they KNOW they are not buying a Rolex Submariner no matter how much they may look alike, but an uneducated buyer who has only seen an Invicta CF or SAN-lll on somebody's wrist from across the room and never up close might think they are getting the real deal.
The examples the OP gave are not homages, they are facsimiles! Except for the brand name on the dial they are outright "copies". Its a good thing all of us know better, so no one we know or are related to can be ripped off by these FAKES.

Arthur very good post! I wonder if MD will comment on the OP's posting.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Master WatchGeek

Not sure what to think here. I can see both sides. Everyone's trying to cash in on some level. Buyer beware. I don't buy much on anything unless I know what I'm buying. Tough call
Old 11-10-2013, 03:07 PM
True WatchGeek

I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask me if this Invicta is a Rolex, or if that Invicta is an Omega. Sure, from a distance they may mistake them for those higher end brands, but if they were to pick one up and look at it they would imediately know that they are indeed Invictas. Yes, the styles do look similar, but the Invicta is not pretending to be a Rolex or Omega.

The same goes for the watches shown in this thread. Anyone who bothers to look at the watch before buying it would certainly be able to tell that they are not Invictas but "Techno-something or other". Did they copy Invicta's design? Sure. Are they pretending to be Invictas (therefore making them a fake, knockoff, ripoff or whatever you want to call it)? No. We shouldn't be ok with it when company A "borrows" a design from another company but then become upset when another company does it to company A.

JMHO
Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Geek

This happens when dealing with Chinese manufacturing and/or companies. Eventually the chinese go into business for themselves outright stealing designs. See what happened to google in China. It wouldn't surprise me if the same companies that supply/manufacture watch components for Invicta are making these as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Member Geek

I've seen exact look a likes before.. my yellow subaqua noma 3 it was labeled Geneva ..none of the sub dials were real...but like you said from a distance it looks just like mine.. if you know what you are buying ( fake or real ) then, you are getting what you want. I did have a fake rollex once. it cost me 20 bucks. it lasted four years before it looked so bad I couldn't wear it ( worn off gold plate). so of course when I saw the pro diver automatic...I had to have one.. it says invicta...but I still have people asking me if it is a rollex. weird huh? I got it with a stainless bracelet so it won't rub all the gold plate off....
Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsbosoxfan View Post
This happens when dealing with Chinese manufacturing and/or companies. Eventually the chinese go into business for themselves outright stealing designs. See what happened to google in China. It wouldn't surprise me if the same companies that supply/manufacture watch components for Invicta are making these as well.
VERY GOOD POINT. I wonder how many Invicta models are being made in China. All this talk in these threads about hollow and or folded links. Someone mentioned that his new pro diver scuba's links were 1/2 the thickness of one he bought a year ago. Does this have anything to do with Chinese manufacturing?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Geek

I didn't make this thread so people can say Invicta "borrowed" designs from other brands. Dive watches all have similarities in many ways. These are VERY specific designs that were completely ripped off.

The point about Chinese companies that get farmed out to do some of the manufacturing and then just slapping a different logo on the dial is very interesting. If they are already set up to make different designs for several companies, they could fairly easily produce these kind of rip-offs.