WatchGeeks  

Go Back   WatchGeeks > Official Invicta Watch Forums > General Invicta Watch Discussions

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Member Geek

Default SW 200 and SW 500

Hope during the Invicta Shophq shows this week that they have timepieces with the SW 200 and SW 500 movements. Thinking of the reserve Grand Diver with those automatic movements.

3 Lastest Threads by lincolnite
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Micro adjustments.. General Invicta Watch Discussions bigdial 13 227 04-10-2014 06:55 AM
they used Mike Davis's line last night General Invicta Watch Discussions timetraveler 37 1090 04-10-2014 06:53 AM

Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Super Geek

I was wondering what ever happened to the SW500. Came out in a scuba, lupah, sas, and a CF I believe and that was it. Invicta kept talking about how it was the next version compared to the 7750 offered by Sellita.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by folands3 View Post
I was wondering what ever happened to the SW500. Came out in a scuba, lupah, sas, and a CF I believe and that was it. Invicta kept talking about how it was the next version compared to the 7750 offered by Sellita.
I'm sure once the 7750 and A07 supply is cut back then we will start seeing more SW500s again. I think they had ordered a bunch of the ETA movements years ago in anticipation of the impending shortage and are now receiving their supply. I'll bet that they have placed orders already for the Sellita movements in anticipation of the future.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Geek

Quote:
The SW500 was also in a Bolt (model 0969), in the Cadet (models 0593, 0594, etc.), and in the Excursion (model 0984).
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 AM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by motegi View Post
I'm sure once the 7750 and A07 supply is cut back then we will start seeing more SW500s again. I think they had ordered a bunch of the ETA movements years ago in anticipation of the impending shortage and are now receiving their supply. I'll bet that they have placed orders already for the Sellita movements in anticipation of the future.
I agree.I'd say that was a safe bet,and a smart move,the way things look.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Managing Director/Admin
True WatchGeek

Quote:
The SW-500 became more difficult to get than the Valjoux 7750. Actually, all of the Sellita movements became very difficult to obtain. As Tim and I have discussed on the shows, Sellita was not even a presenter at the last two years of Basel (Switzerland) shows. This all revolves around the ongoing litigation in the Swiss legal system over the Swatch Group cutting back on their "assortment" (meaning movement components) as well as their movements. Most movement manufacturers don't build all of the components that go into the movements. They use parts made and sold by the Swatch Group...in particular, the hairsprings and balance wheels (among others). I posted a while back how TAG had been cut off entirely from getting any further Nivarox hairsprings and they had to partner with a Japanese company. Nivarox (owned by Swatch) is in over 80% of the Swiss Made watch movements made. So, it is becoming very difficult for other manufacturers to compete right now until they come up with alternative sources or begin producing all of these components in-house.

Argument is meant to reveal the truth, not to create it. ~ Edward de Bono

Invicta...in hoc nomen vinces!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Master WatchGeek

It would be nice to see Sellita make a comeback. Until then, I would still like to see more autos, maybe Seikos or Miyota movements.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Geek

nice to learn new things. thanks Michael
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Senior Geek

Thanks Mike.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Master WatchGeek

Thanks for the info Mike! I personally don't know if I will order another SW500. I bought a SW500 Scuba that I had to have recalibrated on the large second hand. It has since moved again...
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Member Geek

Thanks Mike. Does Invicta have any plains to issue the sw-200 in their reserve Grand Diver. Love that movement.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijin View Post
The SW-500 became more difficult to get than the Valjoux 7750. Actually, all of the Sellita movements became very difficult to obtain. As Tim and I have discussed on the shows, Sellita was not even a presenter at the last two years of Basel (Switzerland) shows. This all revolves around the ongoing litigation in the Swiss legal system over the Swatch Group cutting back on their "assortment" (meaning movement components) as well as their movements. Most movement manufacturers don't build all of the components that go into the movements. They use parts made and sold by the Swatch Group...in particular, the hairsprings and balance wheels (among others). I posted a while back how TAG had been cut off entirely from getting any further Nivarox hairsprings and they had to partner with a Japanese company. Nivarox (owned by Swatch) is in over 80% of the Swiss Made watch movements made. So, it is becoming very difficult for other manufacturers to compete right now until they come up with alternative sources or begin producing all of these components in-house.
Thanks Michael. Very interesting.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM
True WatchGeek

got em both love that sw500
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM
True WatchGeek

Thanks for the info Mike
Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijin
...TAG had been cut off entirely from getting any further Nivarox hairsprings and they had to partner with a Japanese company.
You like fruit?
Tag uses Japanese parts.
How do you like them apples?

BTW I know it's NBD, just thinking of some of the comments the haters make.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Senior Geek

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikezilla View Post
You like fruit?
Tag uses Japanese parts.
How do you like them apples?

BTW I know it's NBD, just thinking of some of the comments the haters make.

I like fruit
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnite View Post
Thanks Mike. Does Invicta have any plains to issue the sw-200 in their reserve Grand Diver. Love that movement.
please and with super luminova
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Super Geek

Thanks for the info Mike!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM
True WatchGeek

I have the Lupah with the SW500 and various watches with the SW200. Love them both.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Master WatchGeek

The "golden Age" of watch making is over. Where we had "boutique brands" like Jacques Lemans, Chase-Durer, heck even Kadloo and others in the $300-$1000 and even Invictas of 2006-2008 and Androids about the same time made excellent "Swiss Made" pieces with Sapphire crystals, excellent Swiss autos (ETA/SW-200) and excellent classy designs.
Now, while many of the designs are nice, they kind of push the envelope (sometime to the point of gimmickery IMO) but the watches, to be affordable, are all pretty much Asian now (Invicta has held on and many are still Swiss Made - even though that Swiss Made thing is always tricky). Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. China can and will crank out nice watches, and some can even challenge the Swiss. But its still Swiss for superior fit and finish as far as I'm concerned, if not the movements being "better". And making sure their workers are still paid decently. Have no idea the pay and conditions of the Chinese, Vietnamese or insert your Southeast Asian country here, factories that belt out most of the watches these days.

Get used to Citizen and Seiko pretty much running the show from here on out in the TV price range. The good ol days are gone (but still alive on Ebay!)

Just my .02

PS it is now at the higher end in the 5-15k watches that many startups and "boutique" brands are coming online with in house movements and such. I guess the market in that range is still going well and smaller guys with smaller overhead can make some $?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Geek

Hmmm, just read this opinion piece on the SW200:

"...
Sellita is a Swiss movement manufacturer and for the most part copies ETA movements. It does this because it has the machinery capable of such work, along with the fact that the ETA designs are old enough to likely no longer be protected under any Patent rights. For this reason Sellita can make copies of ETA movements just like drug companies can make generic drugs after a period of time.
Having said that, when you see the Sellita SW200 movement in a watch, it is the same movement as an ETA 2824-2. The reason watch makers are using Sellita movements, is not so much about cost, but more having to do with the fact that ETA is slowing down production and will cease to provide movements to watch makers outside the Swatch Group in 2010. So because ETA movements are harder to get, watch makers will use an ETA or Sellita movement depending on what they are able to acquire in time to put the watches together.
Fear not the Sellita movements as they appear to be just as good as ETA. The true test will come in a few years, but know that the parts are the same, and ETA parts will fit into Sellita movements to the best of my knowledge. ..."
Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Geek

then I suppose that those of us that obtained watches with the sw500 have a pretty rare watch indeed.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Geek

I love my sw500 watches.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikezilla View Post
Hmmm, just read this opinion piece on the SW200:

"...
Sellita is a Swiss movement manufacturer and for the most part copies ETA movements. It does this because it has the machinery capable of such work, along with the fact that the ETA designs are old enough to likely no longer be protected under any Patent rights. For this reason Sellita can make copies of ETA movements just like drug companies can make generic drugs after a period of time.
Having said that, when you see the Sellita SW200 movement in a watch, it is the same movement as an ETA 2824-2. The reason watch makers are using Sellita movements, is not so much about cost, but more having to do with the fact that ETA is slowing down production and will cease to provide movements to watch makers outside the Swatch Group in 2010. So because ETA movements are harder to get, watch makers will use an ETA or Sellita movement depending on what they are able to acquire in time to put the watches together.
Fear not the Sellita movements as they appear to be just as good as ETA. The true test will come in a few years, but know that the parts are the same, and ETA parts will fit into Sellita movements to the best of my knowledge. ..."

My understanding was that Sellita purchased ebauches (blanks) directly from ETA of the 7750-template and then finished it off its own way. So, given that ETA has been given the green light by a Swiss Court to slow and stop its sale of its ebauches/movements to other brands, it makes sense that Sellita would have to slow or stop its produciton of the SW500. My best movement watch is my black/silver Cadet with the SW500. It is a fantastic piece of precision machinery IMHO.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Geek

I'm a fan of the SW 200 movement in my old school Invictas.