WatchGeeks  

Go Back   WatchGeeks > Official Invicta Watch Forums > General Invicta Watch Discussions

Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Geek

Question Invicta Valjoux compared to Tag Heuer Valjoux...

I am curious compare and contrast the Invicta Valjoux versus the Tag Heuer Valjoux (Calibre 16).
Is there a difference cause there is in price.
Thank u!

3 Lastest Threads by dcarrer0
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Anyone score the NOMA I Diamond? General Invicta Watch Discussions dakdaddy 21 326 11-11-2013 06:39 PM
Opinion on this upcoming diamond?! General Invicta Watch Discussions chw 65 1706 11-09-2013 10:40 AM

Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM
True WatchGeek

Location: Born in Brooklyn~Raised in Queens~Lived on Long Island~In Witness protection program in Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrer0 View Post
I am curious compare and contrast the Invicta Valjoux versus the Tag Heuer Valjoux (Calibre 16).
Is there a difference cause there is in price.
Thank u!
Not sure what you're asking Drew. Are you asking about a particular Invicta watch with the Valjoux movement as compared to a particular Tag with the same movement? Or are you asking if there is a difference between Valjoux's used by either company? Or do you just want to know why there is a difference in price? Please clarify?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymebandit View Post
Not sure what you're asking Drew. Are you talking about a particular Invicta watch with the Valjoux movement as compared to a particular Tag with the same movement? Or are you asking if there is a difference between Valjoux's used by either company? Or do you just want to know why there is a difference in price? Please clarify?
I'm fairly new to watches. Didn't know if the valjoux 7750 is just a standard movement or are there diff grades. I see invicta can offer it in a watch for $700-800. It's like $4000 in a Tag, not sure in other brands.
I maybe in the market for one. I hear they are limited & people speak of the wobble.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
True WatchGeek

Some reading material:

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/01/05/tim...0-chronograph/

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/smok...es-459866.html

http://www.calibre11.com/history-eta...er-calibre-16/
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Geek

Thumbs up

Great reads...especially calibre11. Thank u
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Super Geek

an interesting sentence from the tag article:

'Today, TAG Heuer offer the Calibre 16 in several models- sometimes that means the ETA 7750, sometimes it means that your watch will have the Sellita SW500.'

So they mark it 'Calibre 16' and don't even tell the end consumer whether it's SW500 or ETA 7750. Can you imagine the screaming from Invicta haters if Invicta did that?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Master WatchGeek

Location: Rhode Island via Boston, Santa Fe, Newport Beach and Mt. Lebanon
Default 7750

The movement is one (an important one) of many factors that should be considered in purchasing a watch. Once one gets past Name Brand only, they realize there are many wonderful watch companies out there putting out incredible watches for much less than these Name Brands utilizing great Swiss movements!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 AM
True WatchGeek

the TRADEMARK is a big component of the price...

the VALJOUX 7750 blank is not a major cost component...that is why SWATCH instituted the ETA/VALJOUX MOVEMENT RESTRICTION..to stop boutiques and other brands from marking up the BLANK 10 times...
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Super Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon135 View Post

'Today, TAG Heuer offer the Calibre 16 in several models- sometimes that means the ETA 7750, sometimes it means that your watch will have the Sellita SW500.'

So they mark it 'Calibre 16' and don't even tell the end consumer whether it's SW500 or ETA 7750. Can you imagine the screaming from Invicta haters if Invicta did that?
If Tag advertises what caliber16 is in the watch that is honest marketing. Smoke and mirror advertising and marketing will get you bad publicity, deservedly so.

Cheers
Juice
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Master WatchGeek

Not all 7750 are created equal. There are 3 different levels, Elaborated, Top and Chronometer grade. Its my understanding that Tag uses Chronometer grade and Invicta uses Elaborated grade. Then from there you can get into upgrades Tag does and finishes.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Geek

Those articles are really eye opening. I think everyone should read and pay extra close attention to the details. Too many people state what they believe based on what they've heard, not on the facts
Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 AM
True WatchGeek

Bigger names like Tag, Breitling, Omega, etc. do charge more but its not just for the movement. There are certainly some very nice quartz movements in those three examples that will be priced much higher than any $500 watch. You are paying for a lot of other things with their name/prestige a big part of it, too. If you are looking for a Swiss auto chrono and don't want to spend over say $500 or $600, Invicta is a great way to go if you like the style and comfort of the watch. To me, those issues are more important than whether or not an auto chrono is inside. In fact, I much prefer the less busy and easier to read dial in a 3 hand auto over the chrono with all the sub dials. Try to go with what makes you feel happiest, Drew. Thats what its really all about. Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
True WatchGeek

By the way, one of our very good geeks here, Lee, is now selling a beautiful Invicta for 550 that I would recommend checking out: http://watchgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=247682
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Senior Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG111 View Post
Bigger names like Tag, Breitling, Omega, etc. do charge more but its not just for the movement. There are certainly some very nice quartz movements in those three examples that will be priced much higher than any $500 watch. You are paying for a lot of other things with their name/prestige a big part of it, too. If you are looking for a Swiss auto chrono and don't want to spend over say $500 or $600, Invicta is a great way to go if you like the style and comfort of the watch. To me, those issues are more important than whether or not an auto chrono is inside. In fact, I much prefer the less busy and easier to read dial in a 3 hand auto over the chrono with all the sub dials. Try to go with what makes you feel happiest, Drew. Thats what its really all about. Hope that helps.
Thank you. I purchased a Tag Carrera CV2A10. I will post pics later. Its something I have always wanted but had to save for. I love the movement and better yet my last name is Carrera too. So, that makes it extra special, something I want to keep and pass down one day.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Geek

My education continues at WatchGeek University.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Senior Geek

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon135 View Post

Could you tell which movement by the rotor wobble or do both the 7750 and sw500 do this?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
True WatchGeek

Some great information & read
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
True WatchGeek

http://www.chronomaddox.com/valjoux_7750_engine.html

Jon

Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Senior Geek

Part of the cost of the more expensive watches from "upper tier" companies, is that many modify the movement. For accuracy, reliability, whatever. You pay more for that. Many of them have the movements installed in house, where they have hands on quality control when the movement is "cased up". And yes, you do pay somewhat for the name, but that isn't the entire difference.