WatchGeeks  

Go Back   WatchGeeks > Official Invicta Watch Forums > General Invicta Watch Discussions

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Master WatchGeek

Default NH35a SII movement's handwinding "feel"

I've never had a watch with the NH35a. I've been curious about the feel of the handwind action. I'm very familiar with Miyota's 8215, the ETA 2824 and ETA's 2892 movements.
How does the feel of the "upgraded" NH25a (NH35) compare to these?
For example, the while winding the Miyota 8215 the feel has very little resistance but not extremely smooth while the ETA 2892 also provide very little resistance or even less than the Miyota's but in turn is very smooth. Then the ETA 2824 seems a little tighter to turn, yet still a very smooth feel. I also like the feel of the winding on the Valjoux 7750's which just seem "stronger" if that makes sense.

So knowing the NH35 is an upgrade to SII's NH25a movement with the added winding gear(s?), I've always been curious what the winding feels like.
I like the look of the NH25a rotor's action. It seems a little tighter like most ETA's 2824 I've had as opposed to Miyota's 8215 or Valjoux's 7750.
Rev22:10 "..for the time is at hand."

3 Lastest Threads by ChuckBuckner
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Women's Invicta 40mm/20mm Can I modify? General Invicta Watch Discussions ChuckBuckner 11 135 04-15-2014 08:43 AM
Invicta Pro Diver 8926OB General Invicta Watch Discussions ChuckBuckner 31 457 04-15-2014 06:55 AM

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
True WatchGeek

It's a little bit smoother than winding up these bad boys.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Master WatchGeek

Haha. Good one. Those in the pics are what the Claro Sigma's CL 888 felt like to me, LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDO View Post

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM
True WatchGeek

Location: Born in Brooklyn~Raised in Queens~Lived on Long Island~In Witness protection program in Las Vegas

That's a real hard one to answer for me Chuck, the NH35A in one of my Grand Divers feels just like the ETA-2824 in my Benarus, but the Benarus doesn't feel like the same ETA-2824 in my DB Bluewater Diver, which feels just like the Miyota 9015 in my DB DM3K but not like the 9015 in my Android DME, which winds and feels halfway like the NH37A in another Grand Diver. Hope that helps
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Master WatchGeek

Wow, I was just fixing to lie down for the night and sleep. Maybe count sheep for a minute of three.
Now instead I'm gonna be up for at least 3 hours trying to figure out all the factors in this answer. Haha. Hey btw Tyme, why is your last name "Bandit"?
But in all seriousness there should be no difference in the feel of the same movement UNLESS the movement itself has been modified OR maybe a crown/stem gasket is a little funky. Now the diameter of the crown may make a little difference simply because a larger crown will have a greater circumference. But all in all I think the feel of the winding action should be distinguishable per movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymebandit View Post
That's a real hard one to answer for me Chuck, the NH35A in one of my Grand Divers feels just like the ETA-2824 in my Benarus, but the Benarus doesn't feel like the same ETA-2824 in my DB Bluewater Diver, which feels just like the Miyota 9015 in my DB DM3K but not like the 9015 in my Android DME, which winds and feels halfway like the NH37A in another Grand Diver. Hope that helps
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuckner View Post
Wow, I was just fixing to lie down for the night and sleep. Maybe count sheep for a minute of three.
Now instead I'm gonna be up for at least 3 hours trying to figure out all the factors in this answer. Haha. Hey btw Tyme, why is your last name "Bandit"?
The Fed's won't let him answer that.(lol)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDO View Post

Oh Yeah!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
True WatchGeek

Location: Born in Brooklyn~Raised in Queens~Lived on Long Island~In Witness protection program in Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuckner View Post
Sorry about any confusion or loss of sleep, LOL!
I was given the name by my grandfather. As a lad I used to wind his and my father's mechanicals before school each morning. One morning I admired my fathers watch a little too much, tried it on and absent mindedly and accidentally wore it to school before I realized I still had it on. My father, a NYC police officer that relied on his timepiece many times a day was quite upset. When I got home I was given the title TimeBandit by grandpa. Changed the "i" to "y" when I joined WG's because at that time Timebandit was already taken.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
I was given the name by my grandfather. As a lad I used to wind his and my fathers mechanicals before school each morning. One morning I admired my fathers watch a little too much, tried it on and absent mindedly and accidentally wore it to school before I realized I still had it on. My father, a NYC police officer that relied on his timepiece many times a day was quite upset. When I got home I was given the title TimeBandit by grandpa. Changed the "i" to "y" when I joined WG's because at that time Timebandit was already taken.
That's cool, thanks for sharing that story with us buddy.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
I was given the name by my grandfather. As a lad I used to wind his and my fathers mechanicals before school each morning. One morning I admired my fathers watch a little too much, tried it on and absent mindedly and accidentally wore it to school before I realized I still had it on. My father, a NYC police officer that relied on his timepiece many times a day was quite upset. When I got home I was given the title TimeBandit by grandpa. Changed the "i" to "y" when I joined WG's because at that time Timebandit was already taken.
Super cool Arthur.Thanks for sharing my friend.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Geek

I have a 8215 in my Deep Blue Flatty that winds with almost no resistance. The NH35 when winding feels the same in my Android Aquajet. But I dont think this means a lot because I have watches with the 2824-2 from different companies and in some cases, the same company that feel totaly different. I think it might have to do with how the watch is built. I wouldnt worry about it. Seems like a very nicely built movement with good accuracy.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictageous View Post
I have a 8215 in my Deep Blue Flatty that winds with almost no resistance. The NH35 when winding feels the same in my Android Aquajet. But I dont think this means a lot because I have watches with the 2824-2 from different companies and in some cases, the same company that feel totaly different. I think it might have to do with how the watch is built. I wouldnt worry about it. Seems like a very nicely built movement with good accuracy.
That is EXACTLY the point I wanted to make with my answer Steve. I just wanted to make Chuck scratch his head a little before he figured it out. LOL! The Same movement in different watches don't always feel the same and vice versa!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Master WatchGeek

Maybe I should have worded this different. Or went to a watchmaker and ask him the question of the feel outside the box, LOL.
The pro divers is really what I had in mind. Invicta has put out the smaller pro divers now with four winding movements that I know of. ETA 2824, SW200, Miyota 8215 and now the SII (TMI?) NH35a. To me, the ETA and Sellita felt very similar with a little tighter yet smoother winding action while the 8215 had less resistance yet not quite the smooth, which may be because the gear teeth are larger but less in number.
Just going by the rotor action of the NH25a, I've been guessing that the NH35a will feel a little more solid like the ETA's and Sellita's.

Anyway, I was hoping for a short quick answer with folks comparing apples to apples and on the smaller watches with LESS factors and similar distinctions (how's that for an oxymoron!)
But it's no biggie, and this thread is probably little more than frivolous conversation to some (including me, hehe)

By the way Tymebandit, cool story on your nickname!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Veteran Geek

It's Miyota 8215ish, IMO, but a little less "gritty".

Best way I can explain it.

Rich
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Master WatchGeek

Good enough for me I get the idea and thanks Rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite1111 View Post
It's Miyota 8215ish, IMO, but a little less "gritty".

Best way I can explain it.

Rich
Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Master WatchGeek

Wow, now I'm confused. Arthur, great story, I was always curious about some of the names or alias's you guys used. Thanks for all the stories on this one guys.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM
True WatchGeek

I have a PD with the NH35a, Chuck. It winds very smoothly.
But not as smooth as a 2824.
They both seem to do the job, though.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Master WatchGeek

Thanks Gary. I was just curious.
It's funny but the SW200 and ETA's "feel" in winding just has a feel of higher quality when winding, but I've had winding gears in one ETA and two SW200's strip on me (back before the corrected the issue with the -2 model), and the Miyota has the "feel" of lesser quality but I have NEVER had an issue with the Miyota. So this is a trivial or frivolous issue I know, but sometimes you just have enough TIME to get trivial and frivolous, LOL.
I have come to the conclusion though on automatics take much less wear if you let the rotor take care of the work load. On auto's that can be wound by hand I just give them a less and gently slow cranks as possible.

And along those lines, I'm thinking this: simply letting the rotor wind the watch takes anywhere from 4 to 8 hours depending on have active a person is throughout the day, while you can fully wind the mainspring in less than 60 seconds by hand tells me that hand winding MUST have a lot more torc, stress or something for one to be able to fully wind the mainspring in just seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman66 View Post
I have a PD with the NH35a, Chuck. It winds very smoothly.
But not as smooth as a 2824.
They both seem to do the job, though.