WatchGeeks  

Go Back   WatchGeeks > Official Invicta Watch Forums > General Invicta Watch Discussions

Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Senior Geek

Default Ocean Master TMI NE78 vs Others with 7750 movement?

Undecided .. go with the Ocean Master or get another model Invicta with Valjoux 7750??
Not much price difference, maybe $100-$150 more for the Valjoux .. don't know much about the NE78, what's the big deal and why so much more expensive than some Swiss ETA auto movements?
Case and Bracelet of the Ocean Master looks less expensive in design IMHO.

3 Lastest Threads by Mr Rolex
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Interesting Basel Info General Invicta Watch Discussions drjfc62 4 156 03-27-2014 02:45 PM
Inside the Rolex Submariner, a demonstration of... Rolex Watches ad_adrian 20 681 12-18-2013 09:55 AM

Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
True WatchGeek

I will take the eta imho
Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Master WatchGeek

I know the 7750 should be a better movement and I have 8 7750's and only 1 NE78A but from everything I have seen the NE78A is every bit as good as the 7750. I know that a lot of people disagree but the movement is smooth accurate and reliable. I would have no problem buying another.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Master WatchGeek

I'd go for the Speedway with the 7750.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned
Master WatchGeek

ETA over TMI all day long.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Master WatchGeek

Location: Rhode Island via Boston, Santa Fe, Newport Beach and Mt. Lebanon
Default TMI NE78 vs. Valjoux 7750

Japanese vs. Swiss. The Japanese has 34jeweled mov't. Vs 26. Both excellent high end mov't's. I love them both!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned
Veteran Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvntgtaclu View Post
ETA over TMI all day long.
V7750 has the History behind that movement. NE78 (also like Seiko) needs to put some notches on that belt...People do see Swiss as the Preimem movement maker (and they ARE!!!!). I have no problem with either...but with ETA bringing it's movements back inside...

Get any ETA now as the Prices are starting to rise...and rise and rise to a point you will see $3000 - $4000 for Invicta using ETA. I for one cannot see paying the $$'s for Invicta.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
True WatchGeek

The NE78 is a great movement...I own the Reserve Speedway with that caliber...however given the fact that ETA is keeping their movements in house and no longer farming them out to competitors should make the decision an easy one...Sellita SA is the only other Swiss manufacture that makes its movements available to other watch companies..They have their own clones of ETA movements but are themselves dependent on ETA for the parts they need to make these respective calibers..ETA's marketing decision will have an impact on Sellita's production and their capacity to meet with the demands of the market...Unless they can find other suppliers for the parts they need and/or build more factories to keep up with demand....Sellita may not be able to survive as a company in the future....The point being....If you want a Swiss Made automatic movement, you will have to buy from Swatch or other companies that have developed their own proprietary in house movements....Those companies that have made themselves too depended on ETA autos for their timepieces may also go out of business as well...Companies like Jean Marcel may go under in a few years unless ETA still chooses to supply them with movements....All of their movements are reworked custom ETA calibers....

The watch industry is changing...
Go with ETA my friend....NE78As will always be available as will other Japanese and Chinese autos....

Jon

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Master WatchGeek

The SII movement(not the lower end quartz TMI as they are not the same although Seiko companies) has been great. I have had more problems with the VJ7750 than my NE78A's. You also want to take into account the watches they are in do look different. Which one do you like the looks of the best? I also like the NE78A because it isn't found outside of Seiko where as the VJ is EVERYWHERE.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
True WatchGeek

Excellent point...The Valjoux is found in like a bazillion models and has been since its inception...However in the near future only Swatch will have that movement and no one else...Sellita has there version, but it remains to be seen how long they may survive in the next few years....It is interesting to note that even Tag is outsourcing to companies like Seiko for parts for some of their watch movements.....In the next few years many companies will fall like dominoes that depend and use only ETA automatics in their Swiss Made timepieces..If the ETA Valjoux and Valgrange lines, for example, are no longer available on the open market, what companies other than Sellita have a 28800 vph auto chronograph that can replace at least one of these lines....

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepbrowning View Post
The SII movement(not the lower end quartz TMI as they are not the same although Seiko companies) has been great. I have had more problems with the VJ7750 than my NE78A's. You also want to take into account the watches they are in do look different. Which one do you like the looks of the best? I also like the NE78A because it isn't found outside of Seiko where as the VJ is EVERYWHERE.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
True WatchGeek

If someone will send me a watch with a 7750 and one with a NE78A and I'll do an unbiased test and report on both and keep them as payment. What do ya think lol?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
True WatchGeek

Sounds fair to me...Now do we have any volunteers..

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
If someone will send me a watch with a 7750 and one with a NE78A and I'll do an unbiased test and report on both and keep them as payment. What do ya think lol?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM
True WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin66 View Post
Sounds fair to me...Now do we have any volunteers..

Jon
ok shipping will be 2,995
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Master WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rolex View Post
Undecided .. go with the Ocean Master or get another model Invicta with Valjoux 7750??
Not much price difference, maybe $100-$150 more for the Valjoux .. don't know much about the NE78, what's the big deal and why so much more expensive than some Swiss ETA auto movements?
Case and Bracelet of the Ocean Master looks less expensive in design IMHO.
Play the video here: http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=J401952

and here: http://www.shopnbc.com/Invicta_Men_s...h/605-095.aspx
Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 AM
True WatchGeek

I dont have the Seiko movement and I really shouldnt quote on this thread as I am not a huge fan of Automatic Chrono's........................But I own Two Val 7750's and have had issue's with both of the current units and the other three I have owned where not very accurate. I am not real big on Swiss movements to be honest with you, I have found that the Japanese Auto's tend to be Rocks and the Swiss Auto's tend to be quirky at times.

The BPH being equal I would take a Japanese Auto over a Swiss Auto every day!

Example 2824 vs 9015...................without a doubt I would buy the 9015......Same with the TMI! I tend to think the Term " Swiss " is VERY OVER RATED!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Banned
Senior Geek

What's the power reserve on this movement?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Senior Geek

I have both. I found the TMI movement extremely accurate, however afte 10 months the movement stopped working, currently at Invicta for repair. I would go with eta as long as they are available.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Geek

The NE is a very smooth movement...I'm happy with mine....given the Swiss issues, wyh Not?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Geek

Seiko+ quality
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran Geek

Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Geek

Has invicta fixed their problems with casing up the ne78a? I remember their first round-a-bout the chrono second hand used to stumble around the dial like an old man on a bender.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Master WatchGeek

Have both movements, and both keep accurate time, with a slight edge to my speedway with the NH78a. Visually, the Seiko is a bit smoother, and the chrono pushers seem easier to engage. Whether there is really going to be a shortage of V7750 in the future, sure doesn't seem that way now, I still prefer the Seiko's price advantage, and less available uniqueness.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Member Geek

Why does everyone on this forum have such a hard on for the 7750? It's the basic, low end swiss chronograph. The Seiko movement has a column wheel and vertical clutch so not only can you run the chrono for longer, you'll end up with less wear-and-tear and the minute dial won't click over like a quartz watch every time you keep the chrono on for longer than a minute.

Also, the rotor winds in both directions instead of one, the chrono hand is a bit smoother than a 7750, and there's actually jewels IN the chronograph to save the metal parts from grinding against each other unlike in the 7750.

Longines thought the column wheel was important enough to upgrade the 7753 and provide the option of selling one for $2,900. TAG Heuer thought a different version of the movement was so good, they bought the patent from Seiko and created the "TAG Heuer 1887" movement that they'll charge you the honor of $4,600 for a rather drab watch that most people have used in designs for over 30 years.

If you're picking between the movements, go for the NE78a (in either 8r28 or 8r39 guise). If you really want a 7750, Steinhart will build you an exquisite piece for the same money with better fit and finish than any Invicta (and in jumbo size as well). If you want a brand you've heard of, go after some of the Hamilton watches with the upgraded H21 and H31 movements that are better than any of the ETA movements Invicta will get their hands on.

Now if Invicta can figure out how to bevel the edges off of a watch so it doesn't look like a brick of stainless steel with a circle carved out of it, I might buy an Ocean Master.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Master WatchGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiwatchman View Post
I know the 7750 should be a better movement and I have 8 7750's and only 1 NE78A but from everything I have seen the NE78A is every bit as good as the 7750. I know that a lot of people disagree but the movement is smooth accurate and reliable. I would have no problem buying another.
I agree 100%. I have a half dozen V7750s and just one NE78 (Ocean Master). I also agree with Jon in that the growing scarcity of available V7750s is a good reason to buy while one still can. As for me, I do look forward to seeing more NE78s coming from IWG but will continue to snap up a V7750 whenever funds permit.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Member Geek

In the latest Issue of Watch Time, there an article stating that the swiss courts have pushed back their final ruling, slated for later this year in fact be pushed back till most likely till the end of 2013. They'll continue their slated to reduce movements to outside companies by 15% regulating mechanisms by 5%. Meaning we got some more time but the smaller companies are screwed.